Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Yanks Down, But Not Out

"Don't let us win one."  Those were the famous words spoken by Kevin Millar of the Red Sox before Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, when Boston trailed the Yankees, 3-0.  The Yankees proceeded to lose Game 4...and Game 5...and Game 6...and Game 7.  Even if you are up 3-0 in a series, and 10-0 in Game 4, and you have recorded 26 outs - it. does. not. matter.  The simple fact of sports is that it ain't over till Roseanne sings.

In 2003, the Florida Marlins trailed the Chicago Cubs 3-1 in the NLCS.  They had stolen Game 1 at Wrigley Field, and then proceeded to lose three in-a-row, including Games 3 & 4 at home.  Even if they could win Game 5, they would have to go back to Chicago and beat Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, back-to-back, at Wrigley, a task that had never been achieved by any team...ever.  As a Marlins fan, I remember feeling defeated, especially when talking about it with my high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Hicks...a Yankee fan.  Despite our back-and-forth banter, I received the best perspective from him.  He said, "so you're down 3-1, so what?  Chris, you think the Marlins are the best team, right?  You think that they should be World Champions, right?  Well then if anybody can pull off a comeback from being down 3-1, all the while defeating two pitchers in a row for the first time, it would be the World Champions...don't you think?"  That's when I realized, that if the Marlins were supposed to be World Champions, that they would be the one team who could get out of the deepest hole...and get out of a deep hole, they did.

Fast forward to 2010.  The Yankees stole Game 1.  Then they lost three in-a-row.  Now, even if they win Game 5, they would have to win back-to-back games, in Texas, with one of them against Cliff Lee...someone they can barely hit, let alone defeat.  So what?  If the Yanks are the best, winning three straight games is nothing.  Now sure, they could very well be eliminated from the postseason three hours from now, and I wouldn't be surprised.  But as someone who received a great 'pick-me-up' mindset from a Yankee fan when I thought my boys were down and out...I thought, despite my unhidden hatred for the Bronx Bombers, that I would return the favor.  

I'll be rooting against you C.C., but let's see what you've got...

No comments:

Post a Comment